Thursday, June 21, 2012

5 blogs to read today

As some of you may know (but most probably don't), I'm also a musician. I play saxophone, and used to perform quite often in my pre-kid, pre-recession life. I've gigged with a number of bands, including shows with iconic groups The Temptations and Little Anthony and the Imperials, as well as a host of local groups and my own jazz quartet.

One important lesson I learned during my days of intense practicing was that in order to play well, you have to listen to music--a LOT of music. Listen to your favorite artists. Listen to the greats. Listen to everything you can get your hands on. You'll learn so much, like how to phrase and ways to incorporate inflection and emulate tone. And, of course, listening is a very inspiring way to get excited about playing.

I've found that writing is no different. In order to write well, you have to read--a LOT. If you write fiction, read your favorite authors. If you write poetry, absorb as many stanzas as you can. And if you write for your business, read trade journals, newsletters, and blogs. Look at information published by friends and competitors in your area. Note what you like and what you don't about what they say and how they say it.

Reading helps you get a feel for tone (formal, conversational) and flow (sentence length). You may learn a new word or two along the way. And, just like when you read books, you'll soon find a writer whose work you probably enjoy reading.

When you find an inspirational write who provides information you can use, and when the writer happens to be the author of a blog, it's easy to follow him or her regularly and get your (daily, weekly) fix.

I have a lot of blogs on my own RSS feed, but here are 5 of my favorites I'd like to share with you. I check in with these folks almost daily, and thanks to their thoughtful content I obtain a lot of business and writing information and ideas. I'm sure you will, too.

1. Copyblogger

2. ProBlogger

3. Michelle Shaeffer

4. Momeo

5. Write Direction

What blogs do you follow? How have they helped your business?

Image(s): FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments: