Thursday, February 24, 2005

thanks to you, and to you...

Seems as if I'm always talking about what a busy week I'm having. The past week hasn't been much of an exception, but I have finally had a few minutes here and there to break for coffee. You have to take time for the really important things, after all.

As I continue to grow my business, I find myself involved more often not just as a writer, but as a project manager as well. I've worked with a few excellent designers and a great printer on several projects, and I feel confident that the extra hands I look to in order to see a project from start to finish are the best of the best. And recently I met with a new designer (well, she's not new exactly, she's been working as a graphic designer for several years--but she's a new contact for me) who is also interested in working together when projects arise. She's a full-time freelancer designer, and she lives in town, too, which may prove to be beneficial.

Being a self-employed sole practitioner is tough at times. There's no one but yourself to blame if something goes wrong, no one else is going to drum up business for you (although referrals are certainly useful), and there isn't anyone to finish the work for you if you get behind. You've got to be on top of your game at all times.

One thing that helps is to keep a support network available at all times. My #1 supporter is my husband, who was all for my crazy idea to quit working for someone else and try my hand at running my own business. Other supporters include the folks I turn to for advice about writing, management, marketing, networking, general business issues, and much more. I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone who has helped with questions, concerns, and problems. In many ways, it's all of you who have helped me get my business up and running---and who continue to help see me through every day. Thanks!

No comments: