Monday, March 21, 2005

i'm a crappy writer...and that's ok!

I'm currently in the midst of several projects, all of which seem to have deadlines around the same time (April 1). This means I need to be efficient with my time. I can't just sit in front of the computer screen and stare blankly at a white screen--with nary a word on it--just because I don't seem to have any idea about what to say at the moment.

That's right. Even writers experience writer's block often, at least temporarily.

And with three or four impending deadlines, I don't really have time to stare at a a blank screen and worry about when the next surge of inspiration will hit me.

The solution, I've found, is to just write something. It doesn't even matter what, really. It can be grammatically incorrect, it can have spelling errors, and it can even be incoherent. "Wow," you may be thinking. "And you make a living doing this? Writing crap...and people pay you for it?!"

Well, yes and no. I do write my share of crap. But mind you, this crap is confined to my drafts. Nobody sees these but me. And I revise every draft several times. (Just as pop & country sensations Nelly and Tim McGraw sing on their recent hit: over and over again.)

Revision is a huge part of the writing process. I don't know anyone who can just sit down and churn out perfect prose on the first try. There's always a new way to say it, a different word that will work better, a better way to organize those paragraphs.

So, sure, if any of my clients saw draft #1 of any of my work, they'd probably high-tail it out of the coffee shop where I hold most meetings before their espresso and bran muffin were delivered to the table. But they won't see these ramblings, because I take the time to refine every bit of text I type.

And eventually, I'm satisfied enough to present this prose to my clients for review. They give me feedback, and the revision process begins again.

This may sound obnoxious to those who don't care much for writing, but for folks like myself, it's actually kind of fun.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to re-read this entry just one more time...or maybe twice more...wait, I don't like that intro paragraph...and is the tone too casual? And......

No comments: